Melrose High School Alumni Association

Mission & History

Mission
The mission of the Melrose Alumni Association is to own, operate and maintain an Association to financially support the educational process by funding and awarding scholarships to deserving students at Melrose High School.

History of the Melrose Alumni Association
During the summer of 1978, Ella McGowan-Taylor invited the Melrose class of 1948 to her home to plan for their 30th year class reunion. The following classmates were in attendance: James (Hank) Jackson, William and Rovella Cox Brown, Edward Butler, Leo Harris, Florence Moore-Scott, Willie Mae Nickens, Herman Lee Simons, Christine Williams-White, and Aline Williams-Jones. Due to the small number of classmates, Hank Jackson suggested combining the classes of 1948-1952. This initiated the development of The Melrose High Alumni Association.

The first Mass Reunion was hosted in Memphis in 1980. The next reunion was held in Chicago in 1982 which initiated the development of the Chicago Chapter under the guidance of Ms. Willie Mae Jackson. The Chicago Chapter began with five (5) members. Some of the initial meetings were held at the home of Walter and Kathryn Nickens.

The inspiration to organize the Los Angeles Chapter came in April, 1985. Gil Haley of the Memphis Chapter asked Doristine Thompson Barbee to form the chapter. This effort resulted in the initiation of twelve members. The Los Angeles Alumni Chapter hosted their first reunion in July, 1986.

The Detroit Chapter was formed in 1988. Some initial members of the Detroit Chapter included Dorothy “Toot” Phillips, Ike Watson, and Aaron Watkins.

The idea for an Atlanta Chapter was initiated during the Detroit Convention in July, 1988. An organizational meeting was held in September, 1988 with nine persons attending. Elected officers included Joseph Isabel, Lavetta Glover-Ellis, Janice Williams, and Al Johnson. Other members included Thomas Rube Carter, Fannie Hoskins, William Jackson, Jesse Webb, Gloria Mason Webb, and Russell Lowellum. The 1990 reunion convened July 19-22 at the Westlin Peachtree Plaza Hotel. Over 900 Golden Wildcats were in attendance.

Melrose Alumni Association

Monthly Meetings

Every fourth Saturday @ 5:00 pm
Beulah Baptist Church
2407 Douglass Avenue